Canandaigua VA Medical Center
Canandaigua VA Medical Center has changed to meet the needs of the ever-growing population of women Veterans. Through our Women’s Health PACT Teams, health care is delivered in a compassionate setting that takes the needs of each Veteran into account.
Women’s Health Services
- Obstetrics and Gynecological Services
- Pelvic Exams
- Pap Smears
- Maternity Care
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Mammography/Breast Care Services
- Accredited mammography services
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast surgery (biopsy, mastectomies, reconstruction)
- Full range of cancer treatment (radiation therapy, chemotherapy)
- Sexual Trauma Counseling
- Primary Care
- Bone Densitometry
- Smoking Cessation Programs
- Homeless Women Veterans Program
- Cardiac Rehabilitation/Gender Specific Cardiology Care
- Dietary Consultations
- Persian Gulf Registry
- Urinary Health/Incontinence/Biofeedback
- Women's Substance Abuse Group
- Domestic Violence Support Programs
Health care services for Veterans are provided by VA providers or accredited community providers. Every woman Veteran has the right to a health care provide trained in women’s health. Women may also request a female or male provider at their discretion.
For general information on women’s health care and benefits, call the Women Veterans Call Center at 1-855-VA-WOMEN (1-855-829-6636).
Free Apps to women Veterans:
For Women Veterans, VA is Here
Women Veteran Program Managers are available at each VA Medical Center nationwide to assist women Veterans and coordinate services. Women Veterans who are interested in receiving care at VA should contact the nearest VA Medical Center.
Women Veterans are assigned to a designated Women’s Health Primary Care Provider who can provide general primary care and is specially trained or experienced in women’s care.
Whole Health - It's All About You
VA’s Whole Health System offers women Veterans proactive and personalized health care—empowering you to achieve your greatest level of health and well-being. Whole Health means the Whole You. From integrative health approaches like stress reduction, nutrition, and health coaching, to traditional clinical care and complementary health approaches—your journey to Whole Health starts here.
Proactive, integrative health approaches such as:
- Health coaching
- Mind-body therapies and stress reduction
- Nutrition and weight management
- Peer support and community resources
- Programs to stop spoking
- Physical therapy and chiropractic services
You will be at the center of a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT). A provider, nurse, and others will engage with you to manage your health care.
- Primary care: includes general medical care for acute and chronic conditions, such as chronic pain, high blood pressure, and diabetes
- Preventive care: includes immunizations and cancer screenings, such as mammogram, Pap, and colonoscopy
- Gender-specific care
- Birth control
- Family planning and preconception counseling
- Maternity and newborn care (first 7 days after birth)
- Osteoporosis screening and management
Gynecology Health Services
Evaluation and treatment for:
- Abnormal Pap test
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Gynecologic cancers
Evaluation, counseling, and treatment for:
- Depression, mood, and anxiety disorders
- Alcohol and drug use and addiction
- Coping with illness
- Intimate partner violence/sexual and domestic abuse
- Military sexual trauma (MST)
- Parenting and caregiver concerns
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Stress adjustment from deployment
- Management of chronic or complex conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and fibromyalgia, as well as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis
- Surgery programs available at most Medical Centers
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy
VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy.