Canandaigua VA Medical Center
Review Your Medications with Your VA Provider
It is important to review with your VA provider all the medication you are currently taking prescribed by VA and your community providers especially if you are given a new prescription or have a change in your medications.
Reviewing the list of medications you are currently taking with your VA provider can ensure that you and your health care team have the same list of medications you are taking and help you avoid any negative drug reaction.
Always include on your medication list any over the counter medications you are taking such as vitamins, herbals, and supplements.
If you are a registered MyHealtheVet user you can easily keep track of your medications by going to the Pharmacy tab and clicking on My Medications + Supplements.
Medication questions you should ask your VA provider or pharmacist are:
• Why are you taking the medication?
• How long do you need to take it?
• When you should take the medication?
• What are the side effects of the medicine?
• What should you do if you miss a dose?
• How should the medicine be stored?
• Take your medication as instructed.
• Report any problems with your medication to your provider.
• Tell your provider whenever you have a change in your health.
• Keep a list of all the medications you take with you at all times. This can be very helpful in emergencies.
• Update the list every time you get any new medication including any over the counter medicine.
May is VA Medication Reconciliation Month and this is a gentle reminder to reconcile your drugs.