Canandaigua VA Medical Center
Good News For Veterans
The annual Veteran Financial Assessment (Means Test) is being discontinued.
As of March 24, 2014 VA’s annual requirement for Veterans to do a Means Test for non-service connected (NSC) and 0% service connected (SC) Veterans without any special eligibility has been eliminated. The annual means test is still required for the purposes of pharmacy co-payments and beneficiary travel eligibility. VA will begin mailing letters out notifying Veterans affected by this change beginning next week.
What this means is:
Veterans who are eligible to enroll in VA health care because their income is below the income threshold for example, non-service connected and 0% SC Veterans without any special eligibility will:
• Still be required to complete a means test when initially applying for VA health care enrollment.
• No longer be required to complete the means test annually.
• Be required to complete a means test at their next health care visit if their means test status is “Required” in their records.
• VA will securely get Veteran income information from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) that will verify their continued enrollment in VA health care based on eligibility requirements. VA will contact Veterans only if the information received indicates a change in their income which may change their eligibility status for VA health benefits. Veterans will continue to receive care while their information is being reviewed should they dispute the income IRS or SSA provides on them.
• If at any time the Veteran’s income status changes, the Veteran may voluntarily submit an updated means test. Veterans are encouraged to update their personal information if it changes, such as address, phone numbers, dependents, next of kin, and health insurance using VA Form 1010EZR available online or at their local medical center.
• Veterans who complete a financial means test to determine their eligibility for Medication Copay Exemption or Beneficiary Travel only, are still subject to the annual income test renewal process. A legislative fix is required to include these Veterans into the new process.
Contact the Veterans Service Center if you have any questions.