Canandaigua VA Medical Center
CANANDAIGUA VA CELEBRATES EARTH DAY 2012
Occupational Therapy Department to host “Green Living Wall” Display
On April 20, the Occupational Therapy Department of the Canandaigua VA Medical Center will host an Earth Day Celebration event. On display from 11:00 a.m. – 1 p.m. in Building 9 Room 5 will be the Green Living Wall “Roots Within Our Veterans”. The public is invited to attend this display.
April is Occupational Therapy Month. Occupational Therapy provides Veterans opportunities to practice roles, habits and skills in a safe environment in order to improve their occupational performance during a meaningful activity. The Green Living Wall is a sustainable modular green unit that provides 12 square foot of growing space. It sustains 72 plants on a vertical mobile frame. It allows Veterans to practice work skills and use leisure activity to:
• Improve strength, endurance and stamina
• Increase hand-eye coordination
• Encourage social interaction
• Improve coping skills and motivation
• Help build good work habits and attitudes
• Reduce anxiety, stress and tension
• Stimulate senses through observing, sensing, touching and smelling plants
• Improve concentration and ability to focus on task
• Improve problem-solving and planning skills
• Exercise memory and promote positive thinking
For more information regarding this program, please contact Michele J. Ford at 585-393-7840 or
E-mail at Michele.Ford3@va.gov.
Check the Canandaigua VA Medical Center News Room @ http://www.canandaigua.va.gov/newsroom/cannewsroom.asp for more upcoming events.
Visit the Canandaigua VA Facebook Page @ http://www.facebook.com/VACanandaigua
The Canandaigua VA Medical Center is located at 400 Fort Hill Avenue Canandaigua, NY.